Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I love primary and I love the primary children! When I was a sunbeam teacher, I took a notebook to class and wrote down all of the funny little things that the children would say each week. By the end of the year and just in time for Christmas, I had collected a ton of little quotes. So I decided to put a book together for each child that included a picture of them, along with the funny little things they had said throughout the year. I had each sunbeam help decorate the cover and then we wrapped them up and the children were able to give the book to their parents for Christmas. The parents LOVED it! 

Do you have any funny quotes from the children in your primary or a funny situation in your mutual class? I would love for you to share! If you read below, you'll note that I'd like to use some of these stories for my upcoming projects.

A couple of my favorites from my sunbeam days:

In Sharing time, the children each took turns sitting on my lap. One day, I was holding a little girl, Becca, when Savannah came up to me and wanted me to hold her instead. I very kindly explained to her that it wasn't her turn, but that it was Becca's turn. Savannah put her hands on her hips and looked me up and down and said, "Well you lap is big enough for both of us!"

In music, the chorister announced to the children that they were going to sing songs about Jesus. Little Ashley popped  out of her chair and yelled, "Hey! Instead, how 'bout we sing about Santa?!"

Please share your stories!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog will be lots of fun. I love my Primary Planner! It's wonderful.

LDS Planners said...

As Lisa Paskin sent me via email: "I am the primary chorister in my ward. We frequently sing the "wisemen song" with our junior primary because it's interactive and it's a song we teach our nursery. I have the most darling shy twin boys that work so hard to learn the words and follow the actions. Their little eyes never leave my face. So the chorus goes..."the rain came down and the floods came up." Instead, these two sing "the rain came down and the flowers came up." It just makes me smile. I love it. They have it all figured out!

LDS Planners said...

Since I was put in as the Stake Primary President, one of the most important messages that I strive to get across to all ten of the ward primary presidencies is that through activating a primary child, we can activate families. I feel very strongly about this concept and I have seen it happen many, many times. Parents will do things for their children that they will not do for anyone else. So let's all be primary missionaries and activate the children; their parents will follow!

With that being said, right after I received my calling, my daughter and her family moved into my stake. Because she still has a tad bit of young adult rebellion, my daughter's family is inactive. Not ony do I feel very strongly about all primary children being activated, I feel especially strong about my grandsons being activated, so I decided that I was going to take them to primary in their ward. Chance is 4 (Sunbeams) and Ayden is 3 (Nursery).

Just like the message that I take to my wards, "Bring a child into the Gospel and their parents will follow", on Mother's Day, my daughter and son-in-law showed up to Sacrament Meeting, to hear the primary sing a Mother's Day song. Not wanting to call attention to themselves, they sneaked into the meeting and quietly and sat down. As the primary was on the stage just starting to sing, Chance, who was on the front row, looked side to side and then yelled, "I AM NOT DOING THIS!!" He shoved his way through the children, stomped down the stairs and all the way to the back of the chapel to his parents! Needless to say that after Chance's little performance, everyone knew my daughter's little family!